The procedure for obtaining a Protection From Abuse Order is fairly simple.
- Go to the District Court any Monday through Friday. The closest District Court in our area has moved and is now located in Biddeford, ME.
- See the Clerk and ask for the Protection From Abuse paperwork.
- Fill out the forms and complete the Affidavit outlining the abuse you received and any injuries you sustained. Be sure to include and describe any psychological abuse, threats, or abuse to any children as well.
- See the Judge. He/she will review the paperwork and authorize it's issuance. The authorized paperwork will be given back to you for service.
- Give signed copies to local police for service.
- It is possible to obtain a Protective Order online by clicking the following link and completing the necessary information.
This is only a temporary order valid for 14 days. You will be required to appear in court to present your full case before the Judge so a determination can be made whether to extend the Order for a period of one year.
At the court hearing, the abuser will have an opportunity to be heard to counter any claims you make and seek dismissal of the order. Be prepared!
How to obtain a Protection from Abuse Order